Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ray the Bitch Slayer

Ray the Bitch Slayer

Question Empty
PostSubject: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:48 am

So I'm planning on getting a guitar by the end of this year. Lol, I gotta do something else besides being on the internet.
Anyways, on to the real question.
I'm not sure if these guitars even last long. Or are even worth buying/able to play/have a good sound, etc.
Or I should just go to one of the music stores around here and get a quality guitar.
So, which option should I go with? I'm not looking on prices or anything, just which one will be more durable.
Back to top Go down
Boomerang

Boomerang

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:55 am

Ray =
Question Funny%2Bpictures%2Bof%2BGuitarist
Back to top Go down
Scary Larry
Admin
Scary Larry

Character sheet
tf:

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:56 am

Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

Whatever you do. They are the shittiest guitars on the face of the planet. They sound awful, break within about 2 days, and are the perfect size... for a four year old.

If your starting off, there are plenty of cheap but good guitars you can get. I would recommend some sub-brands of the more popular name brands, such as Gibson's Epiphone or Fender's Squier.
Those two should sell a few amp combos, but if you don't like any of them and can't afford/don't want to buy an amp too, just start off with an Acoustic. Most any brand would do, except for First Act.

Durability-wise, I wouldn't really worry. Most guitars should be find, as long as they're not First Act or some shit Japanese knockoff. However, some cheaper ones may have faults more easily. For example, my $200 Dean Custom Zone sounds fine, but it goes out of tune pretty easily, the E string sometimes bends over the neck, one string was buzzing when I first bought it (which had to be repaired), and the paint chips kind of easily. However, Dean does have some nicer but more expensive axes. Maybe not the most suitable for a beginner, though. As I said, try starting off with Epiphone or Squier.

Needless to say, if you do end up with a crappy guitar, there are a lot of things you can do to fix it up. For example, in the (hopefully near) future, I plan on getting my Dean installed with some EMG picks and new strings. I also plan to replace the factory whammy bar with a Floyd Rose Tremolo, so it doesn't go out of tune so easily.
There are other things you can do to improve its sound/durability, too, like replacing the nut or the bridge, or just getting a better amp. However, if you don't want to go through that whole process, it'd be much easier to buy a guitar that just sounds nice straight from the factory.

On an unrelated note, if you do learn to play guitar then listen up to some real punk (i.e. not My Chemical Romance), I just might let you back in The Sick Fucks. Then maybe we can kick Coal out and teach Austin to play bass or something. Idk.

Last edited by P-Squared on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ray the Bitch Slayer

Ray the Bitch Slayer

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:57 am

Boomerang wrote:
Ray =
Question Funny%2Bpictures%2Bof%2BGuitarist

Yup, that's defo me bounce
Back to top Go down
Ray the Bitch Slayer

Ray the Bitch Slayer

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:06 pm

P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

Whatever you do. They are the shittiest guitars on the face of the planet. They sound awful, break within about 2 days, and are the perfect size... for a four year old.

If your starting off, there are plenty of cheap but good guitars you can get. I would recommend some sub-brands of the more popular name brands, such as Gibson's Epiphone or Fender's Squier.
Those two should sell a few amp combos, but if you don't like any of them and can't afford/don't want to buy an amp too, just start off with an Acoustic. Most any brand would do, except for First Act.

Durability-wise, I wouldn't really worry. Most guitars should be find, as long as they're not First Act or some shit Japanese knockoff. However, some cheaper ones may have faults more easily. For example, my $200 Dean Custom Zone sounds fine, but it goes out of tune pretty easily, the E string sometimes bends over the neck, one string was buzzing when I first bought it (which had to be repaired), and the paint chips kind of easily. However, Dean does have some nicer but more expensive axes. Maybe not the most suitable for a beginner, though. As I said, try starting off with Epiphone or Squier.

Needless to say, if you do end up with a crappy guitar, there are a lot of things you can do to fix it up. For example, in the (hopefully near) future, I plan on getting my Dean installed with some EMG picks and new strings. I also plan to replace the factory whammy bar with a Floyd Rose Tremolo, so it doesn't go out of tune so easily.
There are other things you can do to improve its sound/durability, too, like replacing the nut or the bridge, or just getting a better amp. However, if you don't want to go through that whole process, it'd be much easier to buy a guitar that just sounds nice straight from the factory.

On an unrelated note, if you do learn to play guitar then listen up to some real punk (i.e. not My Chemical Romance), I just might let you back in The Sick Fucks. Then maybe we can kick Coal out and teach Austin to play bass or something. Idk.

Alright, I'll try to keep all of that in mind. Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scary Larry
Admin
Scary Larry

Character sheet
tf:

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Ray the Bitch Slayer wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

If you want, I can help you find some good guitars so you don't have to go through all that time and effort of browsing through all the different brands/models. Plus, I probably know more shit than you when it comes to guitars. tongue
Back to top Go down
Ray the Bitch Slayer

Ray the Bitch Slayer

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:17 pm

P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

If you want, I can help you find some good guitars so you don't have to go through all that time and effort of browsing through all the different brands/models. Plus, I probably know more shit than you when it comes to guitars. tongue
Oh, okay then. Show me. And yeah, you're probably right on that. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Scary Larry
Admin
Scary Larry

Character sheet
tf:

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm

P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

Okay. First of all, what's your favorite color, and what genre(s) do you plan on playing most?
Back to top Go down
Ray the Bitch Slayer

Ray the Bitch Slayer

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

Okay. First of all, what's your favorite color, and what genre(s) do you plan on playing most?
White and I plan on playing alternative and metal...whatever the fuck emo screamo shit falls into.
Back to top Go down
Scary Larry
Admin
Scary Larry

Character sheet
tf:

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:54 pm

P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

White and I plan on playing alternative and metal...whatever the fuck emo screamo shit falls into.
Lmao, good luck starting off with metal. I would recommend trying out easier stuff first. And by the way, screamo isn't alternative. Screamo is screamo. Its a genre in its own.
Anyways, assuming you're right handed:

Ibanez GRG150DX
Ibanez GRG120BDX
Dean Razorback DB (you're definitely gonna wanna get a strap with this one lol)
Fender/Squier Stratocaster

That should be good. If you don't like any of those, I can find some more. Happy shredding.
Back to top Go down
Ray the Bitch Slayer

Ray the Bitch Slayer

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 3:06 pm

P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

Lmao, good luck starting off with metal. I would recommend trying out easier stuff first. And by the way, screamo isn't alternative. Screamo is screamo. Its a genre in its own.

Ibanez GRG150DX
Ibanez GRG120BDX

That should be good. If you don't like any of those, I can find some more. Happy shredding.

Really like the Fender Stratocaster one.
Back to top Go down
Scary Larry
Admin
Scary Larry

Character sheet
tf:

Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question   Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 3:10 pm

P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
P-Squared wrote:
Do.
Not.
Get.
A.
First.
Act.

Ibanez GRG150DX
Ibanez GRG120BDX

Really like the Fender Stratocaster one.
Good choice.
Also, I don't know if you noticed, but on the guitar you picked, the headstock (this thing) isn't the same color as the fretboard. (this thing)
So, if you would rather them match, you can also get a white Squier Strat and just replace the pickguard with a black one.

While my method would save you about $30, I don't know if you'd be able to change the pickguard since you've probably never even touched a guitar before in your life (although, you could easily take it to a music store and have them do it for you). However, it's much easier to buy the guitar premade with all the parts the way you want them. Your call.

K hopefully this is the end of our conversation because this string of quotes is getting too long lol
Back to top Go down

Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Discussion :: Music-
Jump to: